Table of Contents:
- pt. 1. The pre-history: The elusive mechanical horse. The draisine abroad. Wheels and woes
- pt. 2. The "boneshaker" era: The bicycle breakthrough. The American adventure. European development
- pt. 3. The "high wheel" era: The high mount prevails. The pinnacle of the high wheeler. Growing safety concerns
- pt. 4. The "safety" era: The rise of the rover. The bicycle boom. Legacy of the boom
- pt. 5. The twentieth century: Utilitarian cycling. Recreational cycling. Competetive cycling
- Conclusion: Cycling into the future.