Our building is currently open for pick-up of materials only.
Fail U. : the false promise of higher education
"The cost of a college degree has increased by 1,125% since 1978 - four times the rate of inflation. Total student debt is $1.3 trillion. Many private universities charge tuitions ranging from $60-70,000 per year. Nearly 2/3 of all college students must borrow to study, and the average student gradu... Full description
- Part I. I told you so
- Introduction: Scenes from a graduation
- 1. Bursting the college bubble
- 2. Déjà vu: ProfScam twenty-eight years later
- Part II. The college bubble
- 3. The (escalating) flight from teaching
- 4. the reality of academic research
- 5. What do students learn (and does anybody care)?
- 6. the college for all delusion
- Part III. Bloat
- 7. Our bloated colleges
- 8. Academia's edifice bloat
- Part IV. Junk scholarship, hoaxes, and scandals
- 9. Does the Emperor have any clothes?
- 10. A scandal reconsidered
- Part V. Victim U. (trigger warning)
- 11. Grievance U.
- 12. Rape U.
- Part VI. Is this time different?
- 13. Time for a bailout?
- 14. Netflix U.
- 15. Smaller, fewer, less.