Our building is currently open for pick-up of materials only.
Immune : how your body defends and protects you (Bloomsbury sigma series)
by Carver, Catherine A. (Author)
"Immune explores the incredible arsenal that lives within us - how it knows what to attack and what to defend, and how it kills everything from the common cold virus to plague bacteria. We see what happens when the immune system turns on us, and how life is impossible without its protection. We lear... Full description
- Preface: Our hidden army
- Full frontal immunity: the first line of defence
- A cast of cut-throats: the killer cells that keep us safe
- Chit-chatting chemicals: how your immune system yells
- Transplants: designer vaginas to pig heart perfection
- Outnumbered: how the immune system manages the body's resident bacteria
- Immunological tango: sex and love
- What a cute parasite: pregnancy and the immune system
- A palace for parasites: worms and fleas and ticks! Oh my!
- The adaptive assassins: killing everything from pink-eye to plague
- Vaccines: a triumph of man's manipulation of the immune system
- Allergies: everything you're itching to know
- Auto-immunity: the science of friendly fire
- Defenceless: the boy who lived in a bubble
- Cancer: a deadly "spot the difference"
- Killer bugs: be afraid, be very afraid
- Clever drugs: immunological alchemy.