Our building is currently open for pick-up of materials only.
The address book : what street addresses reveal about identity, race, wealth, and power
by Mask, Deirdre (Author)
"An exuberant work of popular history: the story of how streets got their names and houses their numbers, and why something as seemingly mundane as an address can save lives or enforce power. When most people think about street addresses, if they think of them at all, it is in their capacity to ensu... Full description
- Introduction: Why do street addresses matter?
- Kolkata : how can street addresses transform the slums?
- Haiti : could street addresses stop an epidemic?
- Rome : how did the ancient Romans navigate?
- London : where do street names come from?
- Vienna : what can house numbers teach us about power?
- Philadelphia : why do Americans love numbered streets?
- Korea and Japan : must streets be named?
- Iran : why do street names follow revolutions?
- Berlin : what do Nazi street names tell us about Vergangenheitsbewältigung?
- Hollywood, Florida : why can't Americans stop arguing about Confederate street names?
- St. Louis : what do Martin Luther King Jr. Streets reveal about race in America?
- South Africa : who belongs on South Africa's street signs?
- Manhattan : how much is a street name worth?
- Homelessness : how do you live without an address?
- Conclusion: The future : are street addresses doomed?